|Pirates- reaching our potential in relentless pursuit of excellence
What Is Parent Engagement?
Parent Engagement is an ongoing process that increases active participation, communication, and collaboration between parents, schools, and communities with the goal of educating the whole child to ensure student achievement and success.
The Georgia Department of Education’s Parent Engagement Program ensures that Title I, Part A parental involvement regulations are met with meaningful and strategic actions to build parent capacity as mandated by the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA). Schools and districts must ensure that strong strategies are in place to: 1) build capacity to involve parents/stakeholders in an effective partnership with the school; and 2) share and support high student academic achievement.
The research is clear that when schools and families support each other, students of all backgrounds and various abilities achieve at higher levels. Therefore, the Parent Engagement Program believes that parents, schools, families, and communities working together can create meaningful partnerships that ultimately lead to significant gains across the board in student achievement. The goal of the Parent Engagement Program is to increase student achievement by engaging and empowering parents to become actively involved in their children’s education across all grade levels. To achieve this goal, the Parent Engagement Program:
- Works with partners in local school districts and throughout Georgia’s communities by supporting and providing effective and practical, research-based practices to equip parents with the best strategies and resources available to help their children succeed in school.
- Develops and delivers communications to parents and families on the factors that influence student achievement and success.
- Creates collaborative partnerships with external organizations and agencies that support parent and family engagement initiatives to provide needed services, supports, and resources to schools, districts, and families.
- Provides technical assistance, trainings, materials, and professional development opportunities to district and school administrators, parent involvement coordinators or liaisons, and other family engagement professionals on parental involvement compliance as mandated by law as well as on parent engagement strategies.
- Monitors Title I schools and districts to ensure that schools and districts receiving Title I, Part A funds are in compliance with parent involvement requirements by implementing programs, activities, and procedures designed to involve parents through policies and plans, as well as ensuring budgets and expenditures related to parent involvement funds are spent correctly.
- Collaborates and coordinates plans with other GaDOE programs to ensure that parent engagement is a focus of various initiatives across the agency and that school districts are equipped with knowledge of these programs to share with parents and their children.
Parents Are Our Partners!
Studies show that parent engagement is the number one factor in student academic success.
Please take advantage of the newsletters, videos, brochures, and countless other available resources. This information is designed to help parents become better engaged in their child's education and future!
Pirates exhibit integrity by upholding the highest ethical standards and moral values, make positive character driven choices, are responsible for creating accountable partnerships, and are empowered to respect and be respected, and believe that they can achieve excellence through confidence in themselves, their school and their community.